Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Paper Puppies For Sale

Paper Puppies For Sale

As some of you know my summer past time is going to Rummage Sales. It’s not really that I need a lot of things, it’s just something I remember doing as a young child with my Grandparent’s and my Mom. I guess I just grew to love it. I’ve also now passed this trait on to my own children, lol.

This past Saturday a little town called
Fairwater was holding their "city wide"
rummage sale. Now, Fairwater has a
population of about 350 people
(I noticed the sign as we got there, lol)
After the rain had stopped about noon time,
Rick and I decided to take a ride and see
what kind of bargains and treasures
I could find.

I should mention, that we only came across
about a half a dozen rummages. I wasn’t sure
if it was because of the rain or the fact that the town was so small. It didn't matter though, I was on a mission for the best bargain!
The third rummage sale we stopped at was at a really nice little ranch style home. There was an attached garage which was where all the bargains were being sold.
I walked in and there was a woman, an older woman (I’m assuming her mother) and a little girl. I started scoping out the first table, but wasn’t really seeing anything that was of interest to me. As I started scanning the other tables I saw that the little girl, who was maybe 7 or 8 years old, had her own "personal" table set up with something to sell.
As I got closer, I could see this little girl who was dressed in a T-shirt and jeans, start to look a little anxious. Upon a much closer look, I could see she had a little tupperware bowl filled with different colored pieces of paper......ahhhhhhh.....the "papers" were actually Puppies,.... Origami puppies!
Now, this little girl was smiling from ear to ear, so I asked her if she had made all those puppies herself. With a huge smile of pride she informed me, she had indeed. Now, from another table not too far away, Mom and Grandma were watching me and grinning.

I remarked back to the young sales lady just how cute they were and how it must have taken her a long time to make all of them. Her response was simply a shy giggle. The sign on the front of the tupperware container said "2 for 5 cents". Being the ever thrifty rummager that I am, I know a deal when I see one!!!
This adorable little girl was so nervous, she was wringing her hands, but that smile on her face was huge and the hopeful look of making a sale was evident in her eyes.
"Well young lady, I would like 2 puppies please" I told her. OMG! The look of pure happiness and delight on that little angle’s face just made my whole day! She very "professionally" asked me which color puppies I would like. I was enjoying this way too much and told her she could pick the colors for me.
Mom and Grandma were smiling ear to ear now too. As my young sales lady was digging around in the rainbow of paper puppies, she didn’t notice her mother mouth to me "Thank You" or me simply winking back at her. I’m not sure who was prouder, Mom or Grandma.
The little girl then informed me that she had found the perfect paper puppies for me to purchase. One was yellow and the other was pink. "Perfect!" I said "I would have chosen those exact puppies myself!" Again, this little girl was damn near beside herself with happiness.
I went into my wallet and got out a quarter. As she started to fumble around in her little container for change, I told her too keep the whole quarter, that she obviously worked very hard on all those puppies and deserved the whole 25 cents!
The look on the young girls face will be with me for a long time. She had made a sale! She was proud and happy. Her smile and the look in her eyes saying it all.
I told them all to have a wonderful day and walked out to the car. My wonderful little paper puppies in my hand.
I told Rick about my bargain for the day and gave him the yellow puppy. He too smiled as I retold the story to him.


I guess the point of my blog is this: No matter how small something may seem to you, it might mean the world to someone else. I’m sure there were a few people that day who over looked the paper puppies, maybe thinking they were silly. Maybe we all need to take the time to see the simple things in life and the joy they can bring. Maybe we need to remember what it was like to see the world through a child’s eye’s or maybe we just need remember, paper or pedigree shouldn’t really matter. Take time to make someone smile today.....it will fill your heart so full of happiness and that in itself is a true blessing.


This blog was originally written in 2009 also. But the picture above shows that little pink paper puppy is still taped where I can see it and see it often! It's my reminder that sometimes little things mean a lot to someone and that I'm able to make someone smile everyday and that it's not that hard to do :)

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment